Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Eating in Salem - OMG French Toast

Guess where I went? Guess! Guess!

Yup, I finally went to Word of Mouth in Salem to try out that creme brule french toast. Let me tell you a story about that french toast.

Once upon a time, in every damn conversation I've had about food since I started working in Salem somebody has brought up the creme brule french toast at Word of Mouth. After gushing about its awesomeness, they finish the story with, "Too bad the lines are a million long and you'll never get in lololololol."

Fucking trolls.

Well, I had some time between meetings today so I optioned my lunch at 9:15 am and went for it. You'd think that any breakfast restaurant would be pretty much done with their breakfast rush by that time on a Tuesday. Not Word of Mouth. They had one small table in the corner available, but it had literally just opened up as I walked in the door.

Though they were busy, water came quickly and my waitress was there to take my drink order within 2 minutes. As I already knew what I was getting, no need for another wait. Wham, bam, thank you french toast.

My plate came out within 10 minutes; they've really got their shit wired tight back in the kitchen. The bacon was thick cut and probably from a butcher rather than Jimmy Dean or whatever. The eggs were eggs. But oh, the french toast. It was everything I had dreamed of and more. The rock sugar on the outside was caramelized (could have used another second or two to get really melty, but whatevs), the inside was moist with cream and soft and good. I was super pleased.

My check came, I paid, and I was in an out in about 30 minutes. Not too bad, Word of Mouth. I'll definitely go back, and next time I'll check out the Caprese omelette. It sounded nom.

Good: The french toast was as dank as I had been promised. Service was quick.

Bad: The sugar on the french toast wasn't quite melted enough. My guess from having made creme brule a time or two is that it needed another few seconds with a slightly less hot flame. They're the pro's, though.

Price: $13.00 for two slices of french toast, two eggs, two slices of bacon and a cup of coffee. I was looking to spend a little more in the $10-$11 range. For one person, it wasn't a deal breaker. If I had a family, the meals might be a bit expensive for Oregon incomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment